Friday, February 15, 2008

Poor Hannah

Well, as usual, little Hannah is the center of most of the drama in our lives. We were on our way to the Museum Ctr. which I think, a quarter of Cincinnati's population was there. Anywhoo.... as we were walking up the sidewalk, Hannah fell and gracefully fell on her face. Due to the fact that I had E in the stroller and I'm pregnant, carrying Hannah was not an option, sooooo, Hannah cried the entire walk into the museum, all the way to the bathroom and all the way to the giant sandbox. More than a few people gave me that 'how could you dare do whatever you did to make her cry look.

Now, E. doesn't like sand and so I've been taking them to the sandbox to have E get used to the idea of the sand so when we go on vacation, it won't take 1 1/2 hours for her to get used to it. So, with Hannah still wizzeling (which may be my favorite sound , okay, not really), I was sweeping aside sand to give E a 'sand free' zone in which to play. Yes, more bizarre looks were shot my way.

So, with E playing in the sand in the sand free zone, Hannah on my lap, I discover that her tooth is loose. Now, when Hannah was 18 months, she fell off a chair in the kitchen and landed on her face (not the most graceful thing, is she?). We had to take her to the ER and they literally had to move one of her teeth back into place as she had knocked it backwards. It has been a lovely shade of gray since then and the dentist has told me that the x-rays show that the root is fine, the tooth is just had a great deal of trauma. So this is the tooth that is loose. Part of me hopes that the root was beginning to die and this is God's way of saving us the drama of having to get one of Hannah's teeth pulled. I know you're not suppose to drink while pregnant, but the thought of having to go through that with her makes me want to stop and have a few glasses of wine right now!

All kidding aside, poor H. has some scrapes on her face and nose and hand, but she's doing okay. She is constantly playing with the tooth. I keep encouraging her to stop- but she's obsessed with it. Tonight at gymnastics she couldn't focus on anything because she was playing with it so much. I finally pulled her aside and asked what she needed to hear from me to help her be okay with the tooth. She asked me if it fell out, if I had someplace to put it. I told her of course and then she said okay and ran off- completely fine for the rest of class. Honestly, I don't know where I would have put the thing- which begs an interesting question- what are you suppose to do with the teeth your children loose?

2 comments:

Emily R. said...

Keep a ziploc bag in your bag. Super handy for a million uses!!!

Jillian said...

Mis, it's Jill...my mom kept all of my teeth in a little jewelery box. It was a beautiful box, with a picture of grandpa and I walking on the beach together. When I moved out, she gave it to me and said, "Here, I thought you might like to have this." Of course, I was really excited, until I opened it up and saw all of my baby teeth. What the heck?! I don't want those things, it's creepy. haha. That's my mom for ya.