Sunday, February 24, 2008

On Your Mark... Get Set... Go!





Today was the big Pine Wood Derby. Okay, so I didn't realize how big of a deal this thing is. They had a special race track with a motion sensor that showed the order in which cars finished electronically. They had some crazy software that put all the kids in heats and would tally their scores from the races. Good grief.

Zach is only 6 and so his attention is that of a 6 year old. Brian did a great job of not forcing him to do more than what he wanted. When Zach said he was done- Brian would say okay and let it go. So, for the past 12 days, Brian and Zach have been working hard to get this car shaped, painted, wheels set, axles smoothed and graphited up. For being his first go at it, he did well. He came in 5 out of 10. There were definitely some cars that had dad help than others, but for the most part it was fun.

I asked Zach tonight as I was putting him to bed how he felt things went. He said, really well mom. I am happy for the kids that won the races that I was in and that won the race overall. (no- I swear I'm not making this up)

So, here are some pics of the car and the kid. There are also some of the kids bundled up for playing in the snow. They've been sled riding everyday this week and I must say that I am sick of getting kids in and out of snow gear. But that's another blog.

1 comment:

Emily R. said...

Who said your children could get so big? So grown up!! Wow!!!!