Wednesday, April 30, 2008

RIP Petey Fast Fish

Okay, so Zach has had this betta fish for like a year and a half or so. It's been a good fish- biting the heads off of other fish, swimming in his little aquarium, doing the fish things fish are suppose to do. About 2 weeks ago, Petey stopped eating and wasn't quite as Red as he had once been. We knew the end was in sight. For literally the past 10 days this fish has been lying on the bottom of the aquarium willing itself to live. It refused to die. It was starting to get to the point where I thought the blasted thing wasn't going to die- ever. It was doomed to just lie on the bottom of the tank.
A friend of mine told me to put the thing out of its misery, but I started to think about having the conversation with the kids about euthanasia. I decided we're not ready for that yet. And, I cannot lie and just do it. I've been stuck with this 98% dead fish in my kitchen for the past few days.
Well, last night, Petey finally bit it- I mean he died. He was lying in his favorite spot in the aquarium and looked as peaceful as a fish should (???).
So now since Brian has school tonight, I get to fish the thing out of the corner of the aquarium and then bury it in the yard- because fish deserve the same dignity as any other pet.
Zach is doing well and informed me today that he would like a gekko. I told him to start saving.

No comments: