Friday, June 5, 2009

What is Justice?

Well, I'm still on vacation and I don't want to just sit in front of the computer all morning rambling- I'll save that for when I get home. I have done a lot of reading and it's caused a variety of issues to start to stir. I will address the majority of them in the next few days, but there is one question that I've really been wrestling with- What is justice- both from a Christian and secular world view? I've been reading a lot of books lately dealing with a variety of 'social justice' issues and the way in which justice is thrown about and defined is so varied, that I wonder if I've forgotten what justice truly is or if it just being used in ways that justify or intensify points being made by the authors. Now, this is not to say that the issues and the passions and points these people are making are not valid. They are. Very much so. And there is part of me that thinks maybe I'm falling prey to semantics. However, as the CHURCH universal changes (and I'll address this once back in Cincinnati) if we younger ones want to be agents of change, we have to respect and engage those in the generation before and after us. Justice, as I'm seeing, has so many varied implications, that I think it critical to have a good working definition.
What do you think?

No comments: