Thursday, June 25, 2009

Justice and the poor

okay, so the question of justice. Webster's defines it as " the quality of being just; righteousness, equitableness, or moral rightness: to uphold the justice of a cause." So what does that mean and what does it look like to me? I think that justice is more than just what we see in court and what we think we deserve or don't deserve when we've done wrong to others or they've done wrong to us.

When it comes to Christ and justice, I sense a deeper prying in my spirit and it's not always one that I am comfortable with. I do deeply believe that each of us have been created in the image of God. Why God has some of us here in the US living well and some on the streets barely making it- I don't know. At times I have to be reminded that this isn't the original plan for His creation. It was a perfect place and we messed it up. I'm processing what is social justice. Is it those who have being forced to give to those who dont? And even if they do, will it solve the problems that those in poverty or in socially unpopular positions are in? i think throwing money at these problems tends to perpetuate the problems.

I also tend to see that those in poverty need not just their physical needs met, but there are spiritual needs that need to be met as well. If we as Christians are not willing to step in and being a part of these peoples' lives, are we really helping them? Are we really being part of creating a more 'just' society or are we just throwing money at a problem and hope they find their way?

If justice is truly about leveling the playing field and giving others the same chances and opportunities... then we've got a huge responsibility. It's not just about changing the systems. That such a small portion of it. We need to get messy and help change people. We need to love and value them. We need to gain trust and we need to walk alongside and help people walk through the system that treats them like dirt and let's be honest- doesn't help them to get out of the system.

If justice is about giving all equitable opportunities- what is the cost to me and are they fair- both personally and in my political thoughts. Am I willing to make them?

I think we throw around the word justice way too often and we don't really think about the implications of it. I think we need to stop and think before we speak.
Justice is a powerful word and has powerful and deep ramifications. One must be fully aware of the full extent of its use before diving into the realm of 'social justice'....

Micah 6:8- Do justice and Love mercy and to walk humbly with my God. This verse is so challenging to me. For me, it's easy to do these things when it's not my neighborhood. It's easy to send money overseas and write letters, make smart purchases and try to help change systematically what is going on in places other than the US. But what about the injustices done down the street. Why is that a bit harder? Am I able to love mercy when it's me having to show mercy?

Just some thoughts... what do you think? Oh, here's a link to an interesting quick article I read. I like some portions of this magazine, but how we get to some the proposed solutions is where we differ.

http://blog.sojo.net/2009/06/24/why-are-people-poor/

2 comments:

steelfamilynh said...

Interesting...still pondering it all. It would be fun to sit down and talk about it. It's hard to "hash it out" through typing. Too bad we live so darn far apart!

missi said...

No kidding.. :) Brian and I had a 2 hour conversation about all this. I think we're still trying to hash out the differences in justice from a worldly world view and from a christian world view... I'm starting to wonder if there are not 2 different understandings of justice and it's way messy :)!